Welcome to South by Southwest 2013! As we know SXSW is one of the most significant festivals taking place these days. In no particular order, here are my most anticipated events for this year.
1. A Conversation with Nick Cave, Tuesday at 11:30am, Austin Convention Center. Apparently Nick Cave has been seen wandering around 7th Street. His new album, Push the Sky Away, was released last month.
2. Nick Cave, Alt-J, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Wednesday night, Stubb’s. Just look at that line-up! Apparently interest has been so high that SXSW is running a ticket contest, as they’ve also been doing with the Green Day show this year. But I suspect this show at Stubb’s will trump Green Day.
3. Daft Punk, Wednesday, The Capitol Building. This is a rumor, just a rumor, but I’ll be showing up Wednesday night to see what’s up.
4. Tegan and Sara, Tuesday at 2:00pm, Waterloo Records. Awesome!
5. Nerdist and Cirque du Soleil, Tuesday at 8:00pm ACL Moody Theater. Even though he said he wasn’t attending SXSW this year, Chris Hardwick will pick the brains of the Cirque organizers.
6. Nova Rockafeller, Thursday at 10:00pm, The JR. This is the new project from Justin Warfield of She Wants Revenge. I’m excited to see what he’ll do next.
7. Shane Sweeney and Micah Schnabel, Saturday at 6:30pm, Midcoast Takeover at 101 East 6th Street. The guys from Two Cow Garage each have an acoustic set, while he whole band will be doing a set Saturday night at Karma Lounge.
8. The Anatomy of Amanda Fucking Palmer: An Inside Look, Wednesday at 12:30pm, Austin Convention Center. Amanda Palmer of the Dresden Dolls—I love her! Enough said. Also, word on the street is that she’ll play the Paste show at Stages on 6th on Friday.
9. Depeche Mode, Friday at 10:00pm, Brazos Hall. I’m not sure how easy it’ll be to get into this one.
10. Anywhere Hurray for the Riff Raff will be this week.
There you go.
Even though the music section hasn’t officially started yet, I attended a great show by Surfer Blood and Chelsea Light Moving (Thurston Moore’s new band) at Sonos Studios Monday night, though apparently I missed Kat Von D introducing her beau’s band, Deadmau5, before Surfer Blood. Oh well. Also, hello to my new Norwegian friend!
Here are some pictures: